Friday, December 14, 2012
JABA Jane Austen Tag
As part of the Jane Austen Birthday Assembly event (JABA), Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm has posted a Jane Austen tag questionnaire, which I have decided to answer. :-)
1. How did you meet Jane Austen?
My first introduction to her, as far as I can recall, was when my sister did a research paper on her. However, I had not interest in Miss Austen at the time, and paid no attention. Foolish me.
2. In which order did you first become acquainted with and read Jane Austen's novels?
I'm guess you mean what order did I first read the books? In which case, it was Emma, Persuasion, Sense&Sensibility, Pride&Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Love and Freindship (and her other juvenilia in one book), and Sanditon/The Watsons/Lady Susan.
3. Rate Jane Austen's major novels from your most favorite to your least favorite and tell why.
Northanger Abbey, Pride&Prejudice, Sense&Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion, Mansfield Park. NA is my favorite, though just barely above P&P, because I love the youth and banter of Catherine and Mr. Tilney and I understand Catherine's sometimes wild imagination. MP is my least favorite mostly just because of how slow it is and I don't care for some of the characters.
4. Which Jane Austen hero/heroine couple is your favorite and why?
I'd have to say, along with it being my favorite of the books, Catherine and Mr. Tilney- because I love how they interact together.
5. Which hero/heroine couple is your least favorite and why?
Marianne and Colonel Brandon....I just can't get over the age difference.
6. Have you read any of Jane Austen's Juvenilia works? Which ones?
Yes, I have! All of them! I own them all in one book in my NOOK library. (Yes, I'm one of those people :-P )
7. If you could change the name of one of Jane Austen's characters who would it be and why?
I really don't know that I would change any of them- at least, I can't think of any off the top of my head.
8. Have you ever introduced someone to Jane Austen?
I tried to get one of the girls I work with interested in her, but she just wouldn't take the bait.
9. If a new film about her life was made, which actress would you want to play Jane Austen?
I'm afraid I don't pay enough attention to actors and actresses themselves to really be able to choose one.
10. Pretend you're having a weekend party at your very own country house, which Austen characters (up to five) would you invite and why?
I think I would invite Elinore Dashwood, Fanny Price, Catherine Morland, Mr. Tilney, and Mr. Knightley because they are the ones I think enjoy things along the same line as what I like to do, so we could have fun together- whether lively or quiet.
11. In your real life have you ever attended a Jane Austen themed event, party or ball? Or have you hosted one yourself?
No, I have not done any of those things, but I would absolutely love to.
12. Suppose you were given the opportunity to ask Jane Austen two questions: one in connection with her real life and one about her stories. What would they be?
Do you like chocolate?
Do any of your characters like chocolate?