Friday, December 14, 2012

JABA Jane Austen Tag


As part of the Jane Austen Birthday Assembly event (JABA), Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm has posted a Jane Austen tag questionnaire, which I have decided to answer. :-)

1. How did you meet Jane Austen?
My first introduction to her, as far as I can recall, was when my sister did a research paper on her. However, I had not interest in Miss Austen at the time, and paid no attention. Foolish me.

2. In which order did you first become acquainted with and read Jane Austen's novels?
I'm guess you mean what order did I first read the books? In which case, it was Emma, Persuasion, Sense&Sensibility, Pride&Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Love and Freindship (and her other juvenilia in one book), and Sanditon/The Watsons/Lady Susan.

3. Rate Jane Austen's major novels from your most favorite to your least favorite and tell why.
Northanger Abbey,  Pride&Prejudice, Sense&Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion, Mansfield Park. NA is my favorite, though just barely above P&P, because I love the youth and banter of Catherine and Mr. Tilney and I understand Catherine's sometimes wild imagination. MP is my least favorite mostly just because of how slow it is and I don't care for some of the characters.

4. Which Jane Austen hero/heroine couple is your favorite and why?
I'd have to say, along with it being my favorite of the books, Catherine and Mr. Tilney- because I love how they interact together.

5. Which hero/heroine couple is your least favorite and why?
Marianne and Colonel Brandon....I just can't get over the age difference.

6. Have you read any of Jane Austen's Juvenilia works? Which ones?
Yes, I have! All of them! I own them all in one book in my NOOK library. (Yes, I'm one of those people :-P )

7. If you could change the name of one of Jane Austen's characters who would it be and why?
I really don't know that I would change any of them- at least, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

8. Have you ever introduced someone to Jane Austen?
I tried to get one of the girls I work with interested in her, but she just wouldn't take the bait.

9. If a new film about her life was made, which actress would you want to play Jane Austen?
I'm afraid I don't pay enough attention to actors and actresses themselves to really be able to choose one.

10. Pretend you're having a weekend party at your very own country house, which Austen characters (up to five) would you invite and why?
I think I would invite Elinore Dashwood, Fanny Price, Catherine Morland, Mr. Tilney, and Mr. Knightley because they are the ones I think enjoy things along the same line as what I like  to do, so we could have fun together- whether lively or quiet.

11. In your real life have you ever attended a Jane Austen themed event, party or ball? Or have you hosted one yourself?
No, I have not done any of those things, but I would absolutely love to.

12. Suppose you were given the opportunity to ask Jane Austen two questions: one in connection with her real life and one about her stories. What would they be?
Do you like chocolate?
Do any of your characters like chocolate?

:-)

3 comments:

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Northanger Abbey is your favorite too?!?!? That's just wonderful! :-D
It continually surprises me what kindred spirits we are! Funny that NA was the last of Jane's books that you read and it's your favorite while NA was the first book I read and it's my favorite.

Catherine and Henry Tilney all the way! :)

Oh, you are one of those people. haha! I'd like to have an e-reader some day but I still am so addicted to the feel of the printed page! :)

The group of five characters would be amazing! I think they would all get along famously. Well...I do wonder what Mr. Knightley would make of Mr. Tilney's wit but then he's a bit like John Knightley so they'd probably be great friends. :)

I wish you lived near me Rebekah (well, I don't know that you don't), I'd love to take you to the Jane Austen Festival in Louisville, KY this coming July! That would be so much fun!

Love your questions for Jane Austen! I think she did like chocolate somewhat because I read somewhere that the Austens always served tea and cocoa at their breakfast table and Jane was the keeper of the tea and sugar storage cupboard (dishonest servants would steal these pricey items!).

Thanks so much for answering these tag questions, I really enjoyed reading your answers! :)

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

I still like the printed page best, too, but I've found it to be much easier and cost efficient for me to go ebook most of the time. However, if I really like a book, I'll still eventually get it in print, too. ;-)

I wish we lived near each other, too, but I live in Michigan, and, if I recall rightly, you don't. :-(
It would be fun to go to the JA festival together! I wish we could.

And I'm glad you enjoyed my answers. This was fun! :-)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Oh, I see, Michigan is quite a ways. I live in Northern Kentucky near to Cincinati, OH. The Jane Austen Festival in Louisville, KY is about two hours south of me but it's a nice drive. This coming summer they are not only celebrating the 200th anniversary of Pride & Prejudice but also trying the set a new Guinness world record for the number of people in Regency attire at a ball. I didn't go to the ball last summer but would love to next year! :)

So let me give you an open invitation to the Jane Austen festival and any of the time if you get down this way I'd love to take you to the Creation Museum too! :)